Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Maid Cocktail Family

Good evening, Thirsty Readers. Tonight, I have for you two variations on a theme. I wanted to craft a cocktail that features mint and cucumbers. Mint because it is the only plant that this black thumbed mixologist can grow in any quantity. I have copious amounts bursting from a large pot on my porch.  Cucumber because the real gardener in this household just picked some wonderful cucumbers from his VERY SERIOUS AND SUCCESSFUL GARDEN.

I went to the oracle and found many options for this combination, but the one that captured my imagination was on Food 52, a fabulous site for all things foodie.  Food 52 listed this option as "The Entire Maid Family". The basic recipe is flexible in terms of what spirit you like.  Variations are:

The Kentucky Maid (bourbon)
The Polish Maid (vodka)
The Mexican Maid (tequila)
and
The Old Maid (gin)

I immediately chose for myself the Old Maid option because I've been favoring gin lately and because it reminded me of being one - even officially and legally for a moment in time.

I married when I was 35, a late age to some, I suppose. A couple of years before that, I bought a house. When I went to review the closing documents, I was rather surprised to see myself characterized as:

Joni Lynn Ruller, Spinster.

I'm not gonna lie. Seeing myself described as a Spinster dampened my Buying-a-House-all-by-my-Mighty-Girl-Self excitement.  But the moment passed quickly. I signed the documents and moved into my beautiful antique house on an acre of land. Never mind that I had no idea how to fix anything or mow a lawn... but that's a story for another time.

So, I chose the Old Maid and my taster chose the Kentucky Maid. Here are the beautiful Maids.

The Kentucky Maid, all gussied up

The Old Maid in her finery.

Thirsty Readers, I am surprised to report that I preferred The Kentucky Maid by a far piece over the Old Maid. It was, if I may say, a rather perfect drink. Before I tasted it, I couldn't imagine pairing lime with bourbon. That'll teach me to have such a narrow imagination! The Kentucky Maid was well balanced and very refreshing, boozy and deliciously tasty. Seriously delicious. It is a KEEPER.

The Old Maid was nice as well, but of the many gin drinks that I enjoy, it is not my first choice. There was just nothing special about it.  Sorry, Old Maid...

Without further delay, here is the basic recipe for the "Maid" family of drinks. I modified the Food 52 instructions by adding a muddling step. I am certain that this makes a tastier and more interesting cocktail.

The Basic Maid Recipe

2 ounces spirit (gin, bourbon, tequila,vodka...hell...why not rum?)
1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
3/4 ounce simple syrup (my taster thought it could use a bit less, I thought it was perfect)
4-6 fresh mint leaves
3 cucumber slices

In a mixing glass, combine mint, cucumber and simple syrup. Muddle until nicely blended. Add ice and spirit. Shake until cold. Strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube. Garnish with a cucumber wheel speared with some mint. Delight in this fabulous summer beverage!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment