Wednesday, June 18, 2014

BloomingtonGirl's Beach Plum Sour

Salutations, Thirsty Readers.  Tonight, I set out to make a "Ruby's Sour." I saw a picture of it on the Twitter feed of a bar in Manhattan. The drink featured a spirit I really love: Greenhook Ginsmiths Beach Plum Gin Liqueur. (I cannot wait to tour their distillery when I am in NY over the summer. I am a fan, as you probably have guessed.)  The bar in question posted the ingredients of the cocktail, but not the recipe. So, I rang them up and requested it. I explained, in my adopted very-pleasant-and-polite midwestern manner, that I lived in Indiana and couldn't very well pop over and have them make one for me.  The man on the other end of the line was entirely unsympathetic.  He advised me to email the beverage director and see if "he would be willing to part with the secret recipe."   

Bah! As if I have the time or patience for that nonsense. Undeterred, I set out to make up a recipe of my own.  I looked up the classic whiskey sour recipe - one that used an egg white to make it foamy - and adapted my drink from that. The result?  Success! And, bonus!  I don't even have to name it after Ruby, because I made it up. Take that, Ruby...whoever you are.

Now, this was my first trip to the rodeo...the rodeo of making a drink with an egg white, that is. I didn't have to worry about getting sick because we are practically on a first name basis with the chickens who lay our eggs. 

I couldn't find my go-to cocktail book to advise me on technique. I did remember that it one should do a "dry shake" for drinks containing egg whites, which is to say that one shakes the drink ingredients first, then adds ice and shakes again. It worked like a charm, though the pressure that built up in the shaker during the dry shake did cause the shaker to pop a bit when I opened it. Lucky for me, I don't mind a little mess in the name of making a good cocktail.

Here is a photo of the lovely libation. The darker red swirls on top of the foamy surface are actually Peychaud's Bitters.  I carefully placed a couple of drops on  the top of the drink and then attempted - in vain  - to bend said drops to my creative will. Clearly, I need some practice in drink-top styling. But, no matter. It tasted pretty great. It is a keeper.

And finally, I garnished with still-hot-from-the-sun red and black raspberries picked moments before from our berry patch. Pretty sweet, no?

Isn't this a fancy-pants little cocktail? 

Here is the recipe, for those of you lucky enough to get your hot little hands on Beach Plum Gin Liqueur. 

BloomingtonGirl's Beach Plum Sour

1 egg white (preferably from a hen that you know)

2 ounces Greenhook Ginsmiths Beach Plum Liqueur

1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 dashes Fee Brothers Rhubarb Bitters (or orange if that's what you have)

Peychaud's Bitters (or other red bitters...optional)

Garnish - whatever you have on hand that is pretty

Place egg white, liqueur, lemon juice and rhubarb bitters in a shaker without ice. Shake for about ten seconds to blend well. Add ice. Shake again until chilled. Strain into a pretty cocktail glass or coupe. If desired, place a few drops of bitters on the foamy surface and attempt to make a pretty design. Garnish nicely.  Toast your BloomingtonGirl and enjoy.

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment