Friday, June 6, 2014

The Sazerac

Thirsty Readers, here is the Sazerac. According to my cocktail lore hero, BT Parsons,  it's often said that the Sazerac, the official cocktail of New Orleans, was America's first cocktail. I will not hold it against The Sazerac that it was born in New Orleans, a city in which I got a hideous case of food poisoning a couple of years back.  Perhaps if I had ordered this cocktail, I might have avoided that fate. Who knows?

Anyway, I don't know how it is that I have never had a Sazerac before tonight. I suspect it is because during most of my adult imbibing years, I was a rigid hoity-toity cocktail purist drinking only various fine Scotches on the rocks or overpriced vodka martinis, extra-dry, straight up with olives. Thank goodness I have seen the light, and have opened my mind and my mouth to the sometimes ethereal and almost always satisfying libations I've been building as of late, and documenting on this blog. I invite you to join me in this adventure and mix up some of your own.  You'll wonder why you ever limited yourself in your choice of cocktails. 

The Sazerac was a big hit tonight on the patio. My father-in-law opined that it was "a keeper" (very high praise from him) and my husband said we should add it to our regular catalogue. I, too, really enjoyed this cocktail. It's quite simple to make, but it is complex and elegant on the palate. A real delight to sip, though it had a refinement that made me feel as though I ought to have dressed up a bit more before I sat down to enjoy it.

Here is the a photo of The Sarezac, standing proudly in front of its components.  A side note - most rye is made at a huge distillery here in the Hoosier State and shipped off to be bottled at different places under said places' labels. I'm a fan of Rye. I love its straightforward edge. 



Since I am quite tired after a long day of boating and then slaving away in the kitchen (Thai Chile Beef tonight, along with sautéed Portuguese Kale from our garden), without further delay I share with you the recipe, taken directly from my new favorite book, Bitters. 

The Sazerac

Splash of absinthe, Herbsaint or Pernod 
2 ounces rye
1/4 ounce simple syrup
4 generous dashes Peychaud's Bitters
Garnish:  Thick piece of lemon zest

Add the absinthe (or Herbsaint or Pernod) to a chilled old-fashined glass. Roll the glass around to coat the interior of the glass and shake out the excess. (I got better at a uniform film by the time I made the third cocktail tonight, just saying.) Combine the rye, simple syrup, and Paychaud's in a mixing glass filled with ice. Stir until chilled and strain into the prepared old-fashioned glass. Rub the lemon zest around the rim of the glass and serve with the zest resting on the rim.

Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment