Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Last Word

I know, I know, Thirsty Readers. I never let anyone have it. The Last Word, that is. But, this is a cocktail that I would let everyone have, as long as I had enough for yours truly. It is entirely delicious and I do believe it has made me a rather big fan of Chartreuse. It is, perhaps, love at first taste. It may not last, but it is an exciting kind of love, no?

As you can tell from the photo, this is a cocktail that I did not make myself. Why?  I am (as I write) at The Uptown Bar in Bloomington.  It is a terrific place to get a well made cocktail. The bartenders know their stuff; they're smart, charming and knowledgable about all things cocktail. I am here to meet one of my very best friends for dinner in a bit. I didn't realize that it was the opening game of the World Cup when I made the date.  The Uptown (and probably every other bar in town) is packed with very enthusiastic people wearing soccer jerseys and shouting a great deal.

But, back to this fabulous drink. I must tell you that the photo below does not capture the alluring, electric, color of the libation. The hue is fetching yet mysterious, as a compelling woman is.

That is no ordinary cherry. It's a sour cherry soaked in brandy. 

The man who made the drink is this man below. His name is Rob Williamson. He is very good at his craft.

Handsome and such a dazzling smile, no?
Now, the soccer game is over - Brazil won - so, the bar is no longer filled with fans. My friend Lauren has arrived for dinner and we must talk and talk and talk, like women do. So, without further delay, I give you the recipe for this very-worth-making drink. Or if you don't feel like making one, order one the next time you are in the Uptown. You'll thank me.



The Last Word Cocktail

3/4 ounce Green Chartreuse
3/4 ounce gin - Rob recommends a "soft" gin, like Aria
3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur 
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine ingredients in a shaker glass filled with ice. Shake until blended and chilled. Double strain into a cocktail glass or coupe. Garnish with a lime peel or (preferably) a brandy soaked cherry - because, you know, we all have them around the house, right?

Enjoy this fabulous drink. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment