Friday, June 27, 2014

The Treacle Cocktail (aka The Bijou)

Blech, Thirsty Readers. This one is almost as bad - maybe even AS bad - as the Old Hickory, the major taster of which turned out to be my kitchen sink drain. I should have known this would be too sweet. The original recipe of this old and classic cocktail calls for 1 part each of gin, green chartreuse, and sweet vermouth. Add a dash of orange bitters and there you go. I followed the recipe as written, even though there was the following note:

"A popular modification of this drink dials up the gin by half an ounce while cutting back on the vermouth and Chartreuse by half and ounce each, resulting in a drier cocktail."  The author of this passage, (my Bitters hero,BT Parsons) goes on to suggest that one ought to give "this original version a try. As my college writing professor used to say, you have to understand the rules first before you can start breaking them."

So, I tried the original version. Why? Because I'm all about the following the rules.  Until they don't suit me. Only then do I break them.  After I tasted this cloyingly sweet, almost syrupy drink, I proceeded to break the rule right away. I emptied half of the glass out and filled it back up with gin. And, it is still much too sweet for me.

Will I drink it anyway? Yes. Yes, I will. Why? Because I am in need of some chemically induced relaxation after a couple of stressful days of running around getting my kid ready to go to Whale Camp this weekend. Who knew that finding pants for this kid would be such a challenge? He's 13, is a mens' small and has a 34 inch inseam.  Try finding that combination in Bloomington, a town that does not even have a GAP.  Oh. Excuse me. I digress.

Back to the drink.  If you like really thick, treacle-y, sweet drinks, the original recipe of this drink is for you. Otherwise, I advise you to skip it for something else. That's the lovely thing about the world of Cocktailia (isn't that a totally sexy name?); there are nearly infinite options. A drink for every palate and then some.

Here is the photo of the drink. I garnished with the pedestrian Maraschino Cherry. Apologies to those with better taste in cherries. I 'm just not ready to shell out the thirty smackers for the jar of high-brow, mixologist acceptable cherries. I'll come around; we all know it's just a matter of time. Just not yet. It's like your first pair of really, really, great boots. You fight it for years and then you give in, never to go back again, much to the detriment of your bank account balance.

Too tired to take a glam shot. There will be those days, Thirsty Readers!

The Treacle Cocktail (aka The Bijou)

1 ounce gin

1 ounce green chartreuse

1 ounce sweet vermouth

1 dash orange bitters (this drink is so sweet, I don't think it matters what bitters brand you used. I imagine even a dash of Sunny D or Orange Kool-Aid would do)

Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass filled with ice. Stir until chilled. Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry of the socio-economic class of your choosing. Drink and keep a shot of insulin handy in the event you go into a sugar coma.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment