Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Bourbon Ginger Smasher

Thirsty Readers, Good Evening. Tonight I present to you one of my very favorite cocktails, The Bourbon Ginger Smasher. It is heaven in a glass. Tonight, the glass I chose is a whimsical wide-mouth Mason Jar. I felt that the Mason Jar was the perfect choice for this festive evening.(I apologize to my good friend and fellow Chuchee Michelle Jaffe, who hates all things Mason Jar.) 

Why is this evening festive, you ask? My in-laws are visiting. It isn't every day that I get to make my pretty fabulous father-in-law a Bourbon Ginger Smasher. 

By a wonderful stroke of luck, I came into possession of this recipe. I do not know its provenance, but whoever came up with this potion would be a shoe-in to teach a Wizarding Course at Hogwarts.  It's that magical.

This cocktail requires a little effort, but it is so well worth it. I suggest that you hurry to procure the necessary ingredients and mix one up for yourself. You will thank me.  

Here are a couple of photos of the Smasher. The color is gorgeous, no? In the second photo, I am attempting to showcase the fancy garnish I was inspired to make tonight. I threaded an orange peel twist through a maraschino cherry.  I know, I know. I am a genius.  



The Bourbon Ginger Smasher

For one scrumptious cocktail:

2 maraschino cherries
Sprinkle of sugar (generous if you like your drinks sweet)
1 teaspoon minced crystallized ginger
4 dashes of Regans' No 6 Orange Bitters
1.5 ounces orange juice (I always freshly squeeze it)
3 ounces Bourbon 
Splash of club soda or seltzer


In a low ball cocktail glass or festive tumbler of your choice, thoroughly muddle the cherries and the ginger together. Sprinkle in the sugar and the bitters. Add the orange juice and Bourbon and stir. Fill the glass approximately two-thirds full with regular sized ice cubes, and thoroughly stir to raise the muddled fruit off the bottom of the glass. Finally, splash in the club soda to taste. Mix thoroughly with a spoon. Garnish as the spirit moves you.

TIPS & TRICKS:

I use Old Grand Dad Bourbon with very good results. It is an inexpensive Bourbon that is excellent in mixers. No need to use your good stuff in a cocktail like this. 

Sometimes I use blood oranges instead of navels. The color is more intense and the flavor slightly different. Worth a try. Purchased orange juice will do just fine. I get a little obsessed with doing everything from scratch. You don't have to.

Cheers, Thirsty Readers. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment