Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Carthusian Sazerac

I learned something from tonight's Cocktail, Thirsty Readers. Turns out, that the Carthusian Sazerac is a teacher, of sorts. I was looking for a drink that featured, or at least included Green Chartreuse, a new addition to my "barder".  I stumbled across the subject drink, which apparently originated in Cleveland, Ohio. Why? I have no idea. But, I'm glad that I found it. Not because I loved the drink. I didn't, really. But, because I learned about a documentary that I want to watch now. It's called Into the Great Silence. It is about the Carthusian order of monks. Here's the connection to the cocktail. The Carthusians are the monks who make, and have since the 1700s have made,  Chartreuse. Boom. Now, you've learned something too.  Apparently, God is on the side of some booze - Chartreuse and Benedictine being among the blessed.  If you are interested in learning more about the blessed Chartreuse, click HERE.

As I write, I am waiting for my casings to finish soaking so that I can finish making Chorizo link sausages. Yes, your mixologist is a countess of many trades. I thought I would include a picture of the soaking casings because their appearance in water belies their humble -- some might say rather gross -- origins. They look to me like long strips of linen.




But, back to the drink.  I like each of the components in the mix, but I cannot say I liked the drink much.  It was very balanced, in that all the flavors blended well. But, if I may say, they blended almost too well. The Carthusian Sazerac was rather flat, too round, too "edgeless" and frankly, a bit cloying. It improved considerably after the addition of about a half ounce more of rye, but still, it wasn't a favorite.  There are many better ways to feature Chartreuse (see here for the Last Word) and, there are most definitely numerous better ways to enjoy a good Rye Whiskey.  All that said, I shall  include the customary photo and recipe, because after all...I am not the "last word" on what is good. Beauty and deliciousness are in the eyes and mouth of the beholder. Far be it from me to deprive you of something that you might find lovely just because I didn't.

Here is the featured cocktail next to a glass of white wine. The Editor joined me tonight for libation. She eschews hard liquor for white wine.  The drinks look nice together, no? 


And here is our featured cocktail on my treasured Herkimer Masonic Order platter. Why? Why not.


The Carthusian Sarazac

2 1/2 ounces rye whiskey

1/4 ounces Green Chartreuse

1/2 tsp. simple syrup

Absinthe rinse

2 dashes lemon bitters

Lemon twist

Pour a little bit of Absinthe into a coupe and twirl to coat the surface. Pour out excess. Combine remaining ingredients except for the lemon twist in a shaker filled with ice. Shake while maintaining a strict vow of Carthusian silence. Strain into the couple. Garnish.  Drink and enjoy.

If you need some sexy music to accompany this Monkish drink, try this.

Until next time, Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment