Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Countess

I think if I got to choose my royal title, I would choose Countess. I don't know why exactly, but the title has always appealed to me much more than Queen, Princess, or Duchess. I don't even know exactly what a real Countess is or does, but I am pretty certain I would enjoy being one. As a Countess, I  would throw a lovely party for the more fun-loving lesser royals and at such party, I would feature a terrific signature drink. A terrific signature drink such as The Countess.

The Countess Cocktail is a simple little drink that tastes refreshing, light and a bit mysterious. It's a Gin and Tonic with a little extra something special. I made the recipe as suggested on the Q Tonic website (still working on using up the $7 bottle, Thirsty Readers). Next time I make it - and there will probably be a next time, because this is a delightful beverage - I'll use more St. Germain and garnish with mint AND a little purple flower. Why purple? Because it is the color of royalty, of course.

Here is The Countess, ready for her close up:


The mint is from my own mint plant.  (Be very impressed by this, Thirsty Readers. I have a very black thumb.) 

Here is the recipe. You can start out with these proportions, but I'm going to amp up the St. Germain by at least 50% next time. If you don't feel like springing for an entire bottle of the stuff, they sell little bottles for about $4. It's pretty yummy. Click HERE to go to the St. Germain website and learn more about this fancy and elegant cordial.  

The Countess

Fill a highball glass with ice
Add 2 oz of your favorite gin
Add a little less than .5 oz St-Germain Elderflower Cordial
Top with 3 to 4 oz Q Tonic 
Garnish with a mint sprig (and a violet, if you have one handy)



Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment