Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Negroni - A Classic Cocktail

Good Evening, Thirsty Readers. Tonight I have for your consideration the classic Negroni. It's said to have been around since 1919. I had my first Negroni rather recently. It was a King's Negroni (spiced rum in place of gin)  made for me by Nik Aronoff, one of the highly skilled (and charming) mixologists at the Uptown Bar here in Bloomington. 

I loved the complexity and bitter edge of the drink. It is one of those cocktails that demands the attention of your tastebuds and leaves a lasting impression on them.  It is a cocktail that engages in a sophisticated conversation with your taste buds. It is, in other words, a keeper.

The Negroni is a cinch to make, for the most part. The tricky step is the flaming and squeezing of the orange peel garnish. I have a long way to go before I am as good as it as Nik and his colleague, Logan, are.  But, I'll get there. 

The Negroni is not for everyone.  But everyone should give it at least one try.  And that means you, Bruce Skop, cocktail traditionalist.   

There are many versions of the Negroni and I shall endeavor at some point to feature a couple of them on this blog. Until then, enjoy this classic Negroni.

The Negroni next to some freshly picked strawberries from our berry patch. There are no strawberries in the Negroni, but they sure make a purty picture, no?
The Negroni, overlooking the berry patch.

The Negroni

1 ounce gin (London Dry, preferably)
1 ounce Campari
1 ounce Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters (optional)

Garnish: Flamed Orange Peel

Pour the gin, Campari and Sweet Vermouth in an old-fashioned glass filled with ice. Add bitters if using. Stir. 

To garnish, use a paring knife or peeler to cut a good-sized oval of zest from an orange. Hold the zest in one hand over the drink while lighting a match (or lighter) between the drink and the zest. Slowly press the edges of the zest together, folding it in half, to release the citrus oils, which will (or should) ignite in little sparks over the drink. (The instructions here for the garnish procedure come from my beloved BT Parsons' Bitters Book. It will takes some practice to get this down. I suggest heading to a good bar and asking a mixologist to teach you how to to do this. If you're serious,(or as compulsive as I am)that is.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment