Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Cranberry Crush

Thirsty Readers, I have a crush on the Cranberry Crush. It might even be true love. 

Tonight was my second try at mixing up this terrific and tasty treat. I had to improvise a bit the first time I made it. I thought it was great the first time, but I didn't realize how even more spectacular it could be. Tonight, I followed the brilliant and witty Brad Thomas Parsons' recipe right down to the recommended Q Tonic water. It was, if I do say so myself, nothing less than show stopping.  

Do I exaggerate? Not this time, Thirsty Ones. My father-in-law, that scion of complete honest feedback even when you don't particularly want it, said that it would be hard to top this drink. That's nice to hear but it sets the bar pretty high for tomorrow. But, to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, I'll worry about that tomorrow. 

To make this unusual drink, you have to plan ahead a little and be willing to concoct a cranberry simple syrup and pick up a bottle of Ramazzotti or Amaro if one isn't in your bottle collection. If you can't commit to those things, even after reading my rave reviews, give me a holler. I'll mix up a couple and we'll sip together on the patio.  After that, my guess is that you'll be a convert.

Here are some photos.  

The beautiful cranberry syrup.

Ingredients at the ready.

So gorgeous, no?

The Cranberry Crush

12 cranberries (thawed frozen or fresh)
Two 1-inch pieces candied ginger, chopped
1/2 ounce Cranberry Syrup (recipe below)
1 dash cranberry bitters
1 dash orange bitters
1 1/2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce Ramazzotti or Amaro
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
Q Tonic Water
Lime twist for garnish

Combine the cranberries, candied ginger, cranberry syrup, and both bitters in a mixing glass and muddle until the cranberries have popped and released their juice. Add the gin, Ramazzotti, and lime juice and shake until chilled. Double-strain* into a chilled cocktail glass. Add a splash of tonic water and garnish with the twist of lime. 

Cranberry Syrup:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup cranberries (frozen or fresh)
1 cinnamon stick (I think this could be omitted with no impact)

In a small saucepan, bring sugar, water, cranberries, and cinnamon stick to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar and pressing the cranberries with the back of a wooden spoon to release to help break them down. At the first crack of a boil, remove from the heat. Once cooled, pour the syrup through a strainer, discard the solids (they do taste pretty good, though) and store in a glass jar. The syrup will keep in the refrigerator for up to a month.


Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment