Friday, June 13, 2014

Cucumber-Rosemary Gin & Tonic

For many Thirsty Readers, the beginning of summer marks the beginning of Gin and Tonic Season.  And, with good reason. The G&T is tasty, light, refreshing and super easy to make.

For the past several years, when I've made G&T's at home, my tonic of choice has been Canada Dry Diet Tonic. I know that is a cringe worthy choice to many; I'm hoping you'll forgive me. I had read about the highfalutin pricey tonics such as "Q Tonic" and had rolled my eyes at their $7 price tag. I mean, really? Seven smackers for tonic? I'm all for small manufacturers and fine quality, but I couldn't wrap my mind around expensive tonic.

But, now that I am educating myself about all things cocktails, and have discovered an appreciation for various gins, I decided that I ought to break down and try the lofty "Q". Tonight's cocktail is mixed with Q and the recipe for the drink is from the Q website. It's a good tasting tonic. Not as sharp and familiar as the pedestrian type I'm used to. Apparently, it's also better for you  because it uses none of the dreaded high fructose corn syrup and certainly no artificial sweeteners. That's all fine and dandy, but let's keep our perspective here. We're drinking L I Q U O R, which arguably is not the healthiest thing to be pouring down one's gullet. So whether a mixer has corn syrup isn't all that critical to me. Its like organic vodka. Really?

Will I buy Q again? Probably not. But, that's only because I actually prefer the crummy mass produced tonic at this point. Or at least I like it just as much. Call me low-brow. I can take it.

Sorry for that little rant. I'm a bit cranky this evening. I'm not saying its because the checkout guy at the liquor store, darling young man that he is, said to me in a sympathetic tone that I looked "weathered".  I gently replied that it was ill-advised to use "weathered" as a descriptive term for any woman to her face, especially one who is north of 50. Then, he sweetly apologized (a few times) and said, "I should have said tired. You looked tired."  I offered to hand him a shovel to help him with the hole he was digging.

To be fair, I had just gotten out of the pool after swimming laps for an hour so my eyes were framed with goggle marks. Furthermore, his use of weathered was probably spot on. But, no woman is going to put up with that kind of honesty, right? This kid needs to learn how to talk to the ladies if he expects to get anywhere. I'm hoping that my gentle feedback helps him find his way in life.

Now, to the drink. It was good, because it's difficult to ruin a gin and tonic. But it wasn't anything too out of the ordinary; it didn't pack the cucumber/rosemary flavor punch I was looking for. I enjoyed it, but I think the recipe needs tweaking. As I write, I'm aging a rosemary "tincture" in my pantry. (fresh rosemary soaking in high proof vodka). A few drops of that might really give this cocktail some life. I'm going to try it next time.

Picture and recipe follow. And, then, I'm off to bed because clearly I need my beauty rest.

Not a cloud in the sky.


Cucumber-Rosemary Gin and Tonic

Peeled cucumber slices
Lime wedges
Rosemary Sprigs
2 oz. Gin (I used the delicious Greenhook Ginsmiths)
4 oz. Q Tonic
ice

In a highball glass, add three slices of peeled cucumber, 1 sprig rosemary, juice from a lime wedge and 1 ounce gin. Muddle with the back of a spoon.

Strain through a mesh strainer into a second highball glass. Add several cubes of ice, and three slices of unpeeled cucumber. Top with remaining gin and tonic, and serve garnished with cucumber, rosemary or limes.  Enjoy!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment