Monday, June 2, 2014

The Chrysanthemum Cocktail

Thirsty Readers, tonight I offer you the Chrysanthemum Cocktail, a blend of Absinthe, Benedictine and Dry Vermouth. It is quite easy to make - no squeezing of fruits, or muddling of solids. And, the resulting concoction is lovely to behold. (The picture does not do the color of this libation justice at all. It has a beautiful color.)  

At first sip, I thought that I was going to like the drink for its unusual and different flavor. It was very balanced and smooth. But, after the second or third taste, I was over it entirely. The drink had a weirdly cloying sweetness and an odd aftertaste. I suppose if one adored Absinthe and Benedictine, one might order this drink often. I like Absinthe well enough, but am lukewarm about Benedictine. This one won't be a repeat. 

For me it is sort of like the Chrysanthemum flower...meh. 

But, for those of you who want to try this cocktail, the recipe is listed below.  I used a Delaware Phoenix Distillery "Walton Waters" Absinthe. I'm going to tour the place this summer when I'm "back east" as I've come to say since being in the heartland. Its an interesting little distillery with a female proprietor. 

I have a much better drink planned for tomorrow. Its one of my favorites.



The Chrysanthemum Cocktail


1 teaspoon Absinthe (a little goes a long way)
2 tablespoons (one ounce) Benedictine
2 ounces Dry Vermouth
Orange peel for garnish

Combine Absinthe, Benedictine and Vermouth in a mixing glass. Add one cup of ice cubes. Stir for a minute. Strain into a chilled cocktail or coupe glass. Garnish with a strip of orange after you've squeezed some of the oil out of it into the drink. (Yeah, good luck with that part. I had no success with it...maybe that was what was missing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment