Monday, June 9, 2014

The Boulevardier

Hello, Thirsty Friends. Tonight, I have for you, The Boulevardier.  That's a big name to live up to and I'm happy to report that this cocktail indeed does. According to Paul Clark, writing on Serious Eats, The Boulevardier was first mentioned in print in 1927 in a book called Barflies and Cocktails. I had to include a photo of the cover - it's really fabulous. 


I mean, really. Isn't this the best cover ever?

I guess one could say that The Boulevardier is basically a Negroni but with Bourbon standing in for gin.  On one hand, that is sort of correct. But in no way is this wonderful concoction an also- ran, or a son-of. It's a delicious drink in its own right and need not be in the shadow of the (also fabulous) Negroni. The Bourbon adds a compelling bottom note to the mix that the gin does not.  Let's call them fraternal twins. Of a piece, but different at the same time.

Here are a couple photos of The Boulevardier. It is contained in my Mom's delightful cocktail glasses. I like these glasses because they hold a smaller amount than the contemporary Martini glass, but they are cone shaped and thus, a bit more practical than the coupe.  As usual, the cocktail is photographed on what I shall begin to call the Best Little Patio in Bloomington (the description reminds me of my friend, the gifted novelist John Reimringer' screened porch in St. Paul. Order his book right now. It's one of the best novels I have read in the past several years. Truly.)


Delicious and Beautiful

I really like the etching on this glass.
Without further delay - because frankly, I want to brush my fangs and go to bed - here is the very simple recipe for this perfect libation. I made it exactly how directed to do so on Serious Eats. I don't think it needs anything else.


The Boulevardier

1 ounce Bourbon (I used Wild Turkey)
1 ounce sweet vermouth
1 ounce Campari

Mix ingredients in a mixing glass filled with shaved ice (or as I did, with very tiny ice cubes made from an adorable tray from Bed Bath and Beyond).  Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a citrus peel (I used Grapefruit) or a cherry.

Until tomorrow, Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment