Monday, June 23, 2014

The Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes! Cocktail

Good Evening, Thirsty Ones! Tonight I have for you The Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes! Cocktail, also known as the Pegu Club Cocktail.

You might be wondering why this cocktail has two names. Well, the latter name comes from the club in Burma - The Pegu Club - at which this fine libation originated. The recipe was shared in the classic The Savoy Cocktail Book, in 1930 by Harry Craddock. I learned of this delicious old-style drink from my lately favorite book, Bitters, by BT Parsons.

For the purpose of tonight's post, I took the liberty of naming the drink in honor the truly fine Diania Maisonneuve.  Diania, or "Mama Mais" as many know her, is an absolutely kick-ass Indo-Row coach at the Bloomington Body Bar. I am lucky to row with her a few times a week.  She motivates me (and probably every other lucky person else she coaches) to a level of performance a far piece beyond what I ever think is possible. She does this every single time I row with her. It is a rare and special person who can be a gifted coach. Diania is one of those people.

In addition to her prowess at coaching, Diania (the second "i" is silent) is the real deal. She's the good citizen, compassionate and loving, giving to the nth degree, and just plain fun to be around.  I admire her and adore her and am so glad to call her friend.

Why the name, "Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes!"?  Because whenever we are about to increase our rowing output or start a new "wave", Diania asks if everyone is ready. Rather than waiting for an answer from her class, she exclaims,  "Yes, yes, yes, and yes!"  There were many things I could have called the drink, but to me the concept of YES is Diania.  She lives an enthusiastic YES kind of life.

This cocktail was one of my favorites, so far.  It has the rare quality of being both boozy and refreshing.   I love that in a drink.

Looks  a bit like Fresca, but is intensely flavorful.

The Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes! is quick to put together. Well, it is if it isn't your first time at the rodeo using a Boston Shaker, that is. I purchased one today with a view toward being a hipper and more professional mixologist. I followed my beloved BT Parson's instructions on how to use it, but apparently, I slapped the thing together with a bit too much force. I was unable to separate the parts after I shook the drink and had to begin again with my tried and true, though amateur, cocktail shaker. I tweeted to Mr. Parsons for advice. He was very helpful. I did end up separating the two glasses, but only after my taster and I finished our drinks. We split the (very diluted) first cocktail that had been trapped in the Boston Shaker. I am happy to report that even the diluted version of this drink was incredibly tasty.  Not many drinks can boast that, eh?

I need much more practice at this.

Here is the recipe for this gorgeously delicious drink.  Do yourself a favor and add it to your summer repertoire of cocktails. You'll thank me.

The Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes! 
(aka The Pegu Club Cocktail)

2 ounces London Dry Gin

3/4 ounces orange curaƧao

1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice

1 dash Angostura Bitters

1 dash orange bitters (as always, I used Regans' No. 6)

Lime twist for garnish

Combine all ingredients except garnish in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.  Shake until chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish. Raise your glass to truly good coaches.  Enjoy.

Cheers!




1 comment: