Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Abbey Cocktail

Good Evening, Thirsty Ones. Tonight's cocktail comes once again from BT Parsons' Bitters. I've practically been glued to this gorgeous volume since I purchased it. The prose is lovely, the photographs beautiful and the content is just plain interesting, informative and entertaining. I've enjoyed each cocktail I made from this book - the rather unappealing Chrysanthemum Cocktail featured on this blog was from a different source, just so you know. I was very excited the other day to learn that Mr. Parsons himself followed me on Twitter after I won the book Proof: The Science of Booze from a little contest he held.  It made my day, I'm not going to lie.

So, tonight's drink is The Abbey Cocktail and it is the first cocktail in Parsons' "Old-Guard Cocktail" section of his book. My three tasters (myself included) loved this potion. It is very fresh tasting and light, but with enough of a spirit kick to remind you that you're drinking a grown-up beverage.  And bonus, it's pretty easy to make. The recipe called for a garnish of an amarena or marasca cherry, neither of which I had in the larder. I considered substituting a maraschino cherry, but thought it would ruin the elegance of the drink. Instead, I used some strawberries from our berry garden. For the drinking vessel, I chose a dessert glass handed down from my mother-in-law that I thought made a good coupe. See? 


The Beautiful Abbey Cocktail on my Mother's Vintage Tray.

This is a delightful summer drink and I can imagine it making an excellent impression at a Ladies' Bridge Luncheon or Hospital Fundraising Guild Brunch. I will never host such delicate affairs, but if you are so inclined, this will win you gloved applause and polite raves from your lady friends.  

Here is a photo of how I set up making multiple cocktails of this type. The little vessels in front of the iced coupes are Traders Point Creamery Yogurt Containers. I have about thirty of them, so I am ready to tend bar efficiently at my next patio party. I measure my ingredients into the containers and then shake or stir (on ice) each one separately. The mixture to the right is darker in color because I ran out of navel oranges and used blood orange juice.


All Ready to Shake









The Abbey Cocktail

1 1/2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce Lillet Blanc
3/4 freshly squeezed orange juice
2 dashes orange bitters 

Garnish: amarena or marasca cherry (or a berry from your garden)

Combine all the ingredients except the garnish in a cocktail glass filled with ice. Shake until chilled and strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass. Garnish with the cherry.

See how easy?  Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment